Monday, July 7, 2014

3. How and from where does the Thoughts generate????




To build a house after procuring a site the first work the owner does is to consult a civil engineer who sketches out a plan of how the building would come up. As the plan is for the building so are thoughts to all actions. Every human, animal, plant, rock, every physical thing sends out energy. Every physical thing is working like a transmitter sending off energy in every direction. Thought is one such energy which is converted into action.

Now these thought cannot surface all by themselves there must be some agent which generates them, Vedanta the end part of Vedas point at Maya (Projection) to be the agent. This Maya exists in the mind as Tri-Gunas (Three subtle components of Nature) namely Sattva (Serenity), Rajas (Passion) and Tamo (Ignorance). This is an overlap of well kept tendencies from many many past births. Now those thoughts which are engines impel all my actions including my speech.

My words and my actions depend on my thoughts; therefore I need to be very attentive and selective in associating myself with my thoughts. Now when the Gunas in me are pulling me to what they need how can my mind stand against it??? Here is the role of Intellect which is called Buddhi.

The Intellect aspect is in alignment with Absolute Consciousness and is an instrument to guide the mind which is Manas to look for the similar consequences that had happened before by checking the memory which is called Chitta and come to a conclusion.

Now the mind has two options to act as the Tri-gunas suggest or heed to what the intellect says. Mostly it is the Tri-gunas that rule the mind and only at very few instances will the mind take the words of intellect. If I want my mind to always listen to my intellect I need to minimize my Ego which is Ahamkara.

We now know about Manas (Mind), Buddhi (Intellect), Chitta (Memory) and Ahamkara (Ego) which constitute the four internal entities with which the MIND works. There are chances for mind to indulge in both delightful and unwanted actions when it is associated with Tri-gunas. But that action where the intellect is driving the mind to perform is always benefited.

Now how do I know if the thoughts are driven by Tri-gunas or intellect?

Any thought which wants the result of the action to benefit the performer alone without taking others into consideration then such thoughts are motivated by Tri-gunas while those thoughts which looks at the benefit of all then it is from Intellect.          

Now what to do with those thought which are generated through my Tri-gunas???

If I associate myself with those thoughts and perform actions that benefit only me I become selfish and will be pampering my Tri-gunas to bind me. If I refuse, however, to associate with such thoughts they will fade away as they have come without causing any damage or grief to me.

Thoughts are powerful, but I also have the power not to associate with them. By not associating with certain thoughts I will be able to take away the power of them and render them powerless this is one of the secrets of finding happiness in life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment